Tuesday 1 January 2008

Cedar Writers

Autumn 321

Every time I attempt to write something on this blog, I find words fail me. Which might amaze those who know me well, and also myself I must admit. We have just completed our first 10 weeks as a group and I count myself blessed to have met and have the chance to work with such a talented group of people.

When Tracey and I discussed this project a few months back, we thought we might have trouble drumming up interest in the local area. I have lived in Knowle for 25 years and have found it frustrating to say the least that there seems to be an assumption by the City Fathers and the great and the good (whoever they might think they are !!) that families living here are devoid of talent, intelligence or indeed hope. Our secondary schools were removed, shops vandalised, recreational playing fields built on. We were not worthy... but....

Autumn 334

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Our indigenous cultures - the Irish and old Bristolian connections make us the most convincing of story tellers (which any Judge in Bristol would testify too if asked !!). Combine this with fresh insight and talent of people moving to the area for economic reasons - our houses are still amongst the cheapest and most affordable in the city - and you realise that there are jewels in these there hills.

So armed with all kinds of stories from our family trees, the only challenge seemed to be to stop us talking long enough to actually write anything down. That was when true miracles took place.

I have been a writer and tutor for many years, but never have I come across such talent drawn together. I was reduced to tears on a couple of occasions as some of the work was read out, hesitantly at first, but with increasing confidence and competition as each week's worksheet was completed.

After a particularly bad day at work, I was tired and arrived at the group not really up to the task of leading. A cup of tea was placed in my hands, lots of hugs given to me, and as the night wore on goose bumps hit when I realised I was in the company of true genius - each and everyone. The energy which vibrated from the pen and ink hitting the page was palpable. Time even stood still one evening, I am sure.

The ability to convey raw emotion without pretension was something all these authors had in common, a commodity I have rarely come across (the usual aspiring writer I am usually faced with might lack in talent, but never usually in modesty!) and I found myself totally in awe of this unconscious collective gift. By now each of the group had become authors - each and every one of them and together they produce something greater than the sum of each individual part.

Autumn 367

So the reason I think words fail me is because there are not words adequate enough to describe the sense of friendship and camaraderie that we have discovered.

I count myself truly blessed, and honoured to have met my new friends and look forward to the unspoken promises and potential of 2008....

No comments: